Monday, July 30, 2007

Define: coolest city in the world

This picture speaks louder than any words ever could. That beer was given to me for free on the streets of Prague. Let me reiterate that: free Czech beer being given out on the streets of Prague.
I mean who cares that the country doesn't even have an officially codified language... they give out FREE beer. And this isn't like a house party... this is like walking down the street in the middle of the day, and someone being like "hey, have some free, cold, delicious beer!" "Well, if you insist." And then you can continue drinking the beer without having to slip it into a paper bag and looking like a complete fucking hobo. (I know I've already mentioned the lack of drinkin-in-public prohibitions in Europe, but c'mon!)
I guess there was that one guy who shook his head at us when three of us were walking around with open beers in a classy part of town, but what was he gonna do? "I thought this was America, I thou..thi..wa..America.."
So the Czechs don't like to be though of as "Eastern" European, but rather "Middle European," because of the negative connotation of the term "Eastern Europe." I'll let them have they're Middle European title, since they not only let me have free beer, but also let me eat half a pig for about $7, and a delicious fried cheese sandwich (Smažený sýr) for $1.
Since my eastward travels have been quite fruitful so far, I think I'm going to venture farther through Middle and into Eastern Europe to see if things only get better...

No comments: