Thursday, May 17, 2007

This is costing me how much???

So today is a holiday in Germany, meaning I didn't have to go to work... whooo! But it also meant all the stores were closed.... booo. I was also only able to eat one meal today, but that's probably a good thing. Also, since the bus doesn't really come very often on holidays, I spent all of today in my room, except for the time I took my trash out and ate.

But more to the point, today I found out how much this room in the bread-and-breakfast is costing me: 48€/night! And the earliest I can get out of here is Saturday because I can't move all my luggage out of here by tomorrow morning cuz I have work, and the only place I could store it is at a friend's house who is kinda far away.

I did find a room in a WG (Wohngemeinschaft) that I liked, but it's in an apartment building and the super is on vacation for a week so I can't rent it or move in until he's back. So I'm prolly going to get a private room in someone's house (which isn't an uncommon thing over here) for 15€ a night.

On the topic vacation... everyone here seems to take a lot of it. The law sets the minimum number of vacation days as 24 days/year, but most places give you 30 -- that's 6 working weeks of paid vacation or about 11% of the working year. And that's not including all the national holidays, 9 of which fall on weekdays this year (vs. the 5 national holidays in the U.S. where you get work off). Unfortunately, as an intern, I'm not entitled to any vacation time, but on the bright side, it's a 35 hour work week here vs. the 40 hour back home.

1 comment:

Brian said...

What do you mean 5 holidays you get in the us? We holiday for anything. Fuck we'll out holiday any country in the world. 9 holidays is for pussies.

We got 11 federally recognized holidays.

New Years Day
Martin Luther King Day
Inauguration Day
Presidents Day
Memorial Day
Fourth of July
Labor Day
Columbus Day
Veterans Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas