Thursday, June 7, 2007

Füd is so good

So I haven't posted in over a week, cuz I've been busy, lazy, not great at time management. Today was a holiday... unfortunately the last holiday of my internship.

A slight aside... I've become an MRI test subject. I get a free movie pass for every scan. (Plus it takes up work time!) I hope they'll let me keep some scans so I can, idk, put them on my wall, and tell people, "That's what I look like on the inside!"

But really what this post is about is... food. I find myself eating much better, meaning healthier and better tasting food, than I ever did in the U.S. (including when I lived at home). Partially I attribute this to the fact that I live right next door to a supermarket, so I go shopping every day (except for Sundays and holidays, when stores here aren't open...). Also, the food in Europe in general is just better tasting in my experience. I think part of that is because regional cuisines exist here to a greater degree than they do in the U.S., and the types of food are not as homogenized as they are in the U.S. (or at least my part of the U.S. and food that I consider to be in my price range).

To make somewhat of a counterpoint though, a German intern told me that a lot of what people eat here is determined by what the supermarket stocks. We reminisced about foods that we used to eat as children that are now much less common because German supermarkets stopped stocking them. I don't think this is that much unlike the U.S., although we (Americans) have the benefit of larger, more fully stocked supermarkets, so we're less likely to be affected by individual items no longer being carried by a given chain. Overall though, I am more pleased with the selection of supermarket food, slightly more limited as it may be, than in the U.S.

More asides... I still don't know who turned of the light in the bathroom my first night in the apartment. I have however now met both my roommates. One is a hardy-partying polisci major and the other is antisocial "Informatiker" (computer scientist). I'm guessing it was the latter who gave me that scare.

I finally have a working bike and have started biking to work... 6 km (3 ¾ miles) each way. I guess when I get back I might be so used to this that I might start biking up to North every day... but then again maybe not.

And I'm going to München (...Munich...) this weekend with some other students, which should hopefully be fun. When I schedule it into my calendar though, I came to the sad realization that I only have 5 free weekends (i.e. ones where I don't have other trips planned) left while I'm here. I know that may seem like a lot, but when you start with what seems like an infinite number, it's really not that many. But then again, from a cost perspective, and considering I haven't gotten paid yet, a finite number of "mini-Eurotrips" might be a good thing.

Oh yea, and then the last thing I wanted to mention is how awful weather forecasting is in this country. I guess I assumed it would be easier forecasting weather for a country that's about the size of Montana, but I guess it isn't. Also, each major city does not have "Dopper k*10^n" Radar as we do. But basically German weather forecasts, in my experience, are only accurate for about 24 hours into the future... beyond that you might as well roll dice.

No comments: